Saturday, July 4, 2009

Venturing into Urology



"We help our patients pee and have sex," said the urologist, who was giving us a talk about erectile dysfunction.

Since completing my medicine rotation, I started my two week urology subspecialty rotation. With one week down, I can definitely say there is some truth to the statement (although urologists definitely do so much more for their patient). I've had the opportunity to observe a wide array of cases, everything from prostate cancer to vesicovaginal fistulas to circumcisions to labial reductions.

In addition to spending hours in the operating hour observing surgeries that utilize advanced technologies, including lasers and a robot, I have been learning about the preoperative and postoperative management of patients with common urological conditions. I have worked with patients, greeting them early in the morning (before 6 AM) and assessing their health (asking about passing gas, walking, eating and pain) before presenting their cases to my team to determine the best plan.

Coming from a medicine rotation, it's interesting to be involved in the operative management of patients. Surgical morning rounds are also so much shorter and so much earlier. Observing the operations has also been interesting; sometimes it's simply amazing to watch the urologists use laproscopic devices to remove the prostate or use basic surgical tools to reconstruct labial folds.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first week. And the urologists I have worked with have been friendly and welcoming. I look forward to the next week and hope to continue learning about what urologists do...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lol...i like your opening line :)