Thursday, January 21, 2010

Speechless



I'm probably one of those people, who can always find something to say. For some reason, I was searching tonight to find words to express gratitude. I had to improvise...a skill I have learned from being a third year medical student.

There is something to be said about accepting an award. It's harder than they make it out to be on the Academy Awards. It can be hard to collect your thoughts, when you are overcome with excitement and are faced with an audience looking to you. It puts new meaning to the old saying "all eyes on you."



Tonight I felt extremely humbled and moved, when I was named as the recipient of the David Perlman Award for Excellence in Journalism presented by the San Francisco Medical Society during the Annual Dinner for my contributions to San Francisco Medicine Journal. I am extremely grateful for this award and thank the Society immensely for the recognition.

For a writer, one of the biggest honors is to be recognized for your writing. In many ways, it reinforces your desire to write and makes you realize that there is someone out there actually reading and listening to your story.

It gives your writing purpose; it gives you purpose as a writer.

More than anything else, it is an honor, in itself, to share my stories and reflections with an audience. It brings my experiences to life.

Tonight, I count my blessings and also thank (you) the reader for being there to hear my story. I am inspired to continue writing. We'll see where this takes me.
Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Sarah P. said...

Congratulations -- this is awesome!

Anonymous said...

congratulations. i am an aspiring writer and post-bac med student reading your blog. i am truly inspired by you. please keep writing publicly.

Eisha Z said...

Thanks so much.