Sunday, February 7, 2010

My First Half Marathon



After many years of contemplating and many years of running, I finally did it; I ran my first half marathon (13.1 miles) and finished within my time goal.

It was a perfect running day. "The weather was selected specifically for this race," the commentator joked during the finish.

After many months of rain and cloudy weather, the sun shined. There was a light breeze. We were able to fully enjoy the outdoors as we traversed the path through the Golden Gate Park past the Pan Handle back to park all the way down to the great highway right along the Pacific Ocean. The views were breathtaking.



10,000 runners registered for the Kaiser Half Marathon and 5K. And the masses could be visible at the start line, jumping in place, stretching, conversing, or standing still. Proceeds from the race benefit organizations such as the Koret Family House, The Harbor Light Center for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, and Support for Families of Children with Disabilities.

Although I've run these paths before, today it was special, because I went non-stop and was in the company of many other runners. The feeling is electrifying to be in the pack, and you are pushed to go faster and farther.

In many ways, running has been therapeutic over the last three years of medical school, getting me through the stress of exams, anxiety of evaluations, and uncertainty of third year. I felt so lucky to have this opportunity, counting my blessings for the strength, health, and determination to make it to the finish line.

My calves were a little tender at the finish line. But after some hydration and a hot long shower, the soreness has improved and I can say I feel good. We'll see if I can take the next step and train for a full marathon in July.

For now, I'm going to savor the feeling of completing my first half marathon.

No comments: