Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thin White Envelopes

Tomorrow we will face a table of thin white envelops. These white envelops will reveal everything, answering the questions we have been pondering for the last few months. We will finally see how our lives will unfold in the near future as we see where we will pursue our residency training.

In unison, I will open up my thin white envelop with thousands of other medical students at 9AM. After months of waiting, we will finally know where we matched.

As I count down hours, I feel a mix of emotions. A part of me has been desiring Match Day--March 17th--for some time. The anticipation and anxiety of not knowing has been unbearable. It has been like walking in a haze, knowing you can not make any plans with a big question mark lingering ahead.

At the same time, I also realize that Match Day represents a point of no return. With Match Day, I will see my future and there is a chance it may not be anything close to what I anticipated. Either way, the fear of the unknown, makes it harder to wait and face the day head on.

It will be interesting to see how the question mark that has been my life shapes up after tomorrow. Will I match to number 1? 2? 3? 4? 5? 6?...12? Will I stay in California or leave all my family and friends and venture to an entirely new US territory? Will I be happy?

My thoughts are with all the other matching medical students who will open thin white envelops with me tomorrow.

There is no turning back from here.

2 comments:

NPO said...

So what happened? Are you excited or disappointed?

Anonymous said...

well?