Monday, April 28, 2008

The Return of Pig Feet

The pig feet were back for the OR Skills Review Session. This time around, there was less fumbling with the needle drivers, forceps and sutures. The incision was made and sewed back together with the running sutures and interrupted sutures. The surgeons and residents were on hand to assist us.

We also learned this new subcutaneous suture, which is actually laid below the skin (so there is no way to actually see it; it's pretty cool when you see the black line of the suture disappear under the skin.

At first, it took a little effort to recall the motor skills involved in tying the double hand knot and the steps of suturing. But with some practice, the motor skills returned.

While we sewed pig's feet, the former second year medical students (who are know third year medical students) embarked on their first day of clerkships. Hard to believe, we'll be there in a year.

As part of OR Assist, I will be in the OR with my surgeon mentor on Wednesday; my mentor is in urology and it will be interesting to learn about a field I have not been exposed to. Hopefully, my skills we be of use.

I wrapped up the day with other first year medical students at the Women in Surgery Dinner, which was held at the Chair of Surgery's residence. Although it was "business casual," the informal setting allowed students to interact with faculty mentors from the department of surgery and from different surgical subspecialities, ask question and gain insight into the field from the experts.

It was rewarding to see the diverse faces in surgery and learn about how women in surgery balance career and family in a demanding job that has been shrouded in so much mystery.
The mentors were on hand to dispel any myths and speak about their experiences, in and out of the OR. For example, one trauma surgeon is passionate about sailing and does so on post-call days. Family is definitely a possibility; a number of surgeons had children. And some relied on using their "support networks" for child-rearing.

The surgeons seemed very passionate about their jobs, which got me thinking about where I see myself at the end of medical school and how my career will affect other parts of my life. Could I be a surgeon? And if I was a surgeon, could I balance a family and all the other non-medical parts of my life, which are so central to my personality (writting, photography, running, exercise, family, friends, etc)? Time will tell, but these are important points to consider as I move forward in my education.

The central message that was echoed by a number of surgeons was clear-- pursue an area of medicine that excites you, whether it is surgery or not surgery. The key is to be happy.

A great message, as we wind up our first year and start looking at our second year...

No comments: