Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bay to Breakers



1:22:09. My official Bay to Breakers (B2B) time and my first race.

B2B is an annual San Francisco tradition. The 12K (7.26 miles) trans-city race started in 1912 and has become one of the most exciting days of the year. Aside from the running, the race has it owns unique personality- an eclectic combination of costumes and nudity, public revelry and drunkenness, creative floats, amazing views of the city and a non-stop block party.



Interestingly, for the first fifty years of B2B only men were allowed to participate. This policy changed with the revolutions in the seventies and now the race draws thousands of runners and participants.

The race started at the bay bridge right off the Embarcadero at sea level and crisscrossed through downtown. The urban neighborhood quickly changed into the steep hills that make San Francisco famous. By the 2.5 mile mark, we were running up Hayes Street, which took us to the the highest point in the race (after climbing an 11.15% grade hill). And during this ascent, I could feel my muscles tensing and the lactic acid building up. And it seemed like the hill just kept going up higher. At least, there were salmon running downstream present to distract us. But we finally made it to the top.



From the Hayes Street, we ran through the Pan Handle (along Fell Street), which brought us into the Golden Gate Park and into the thick of the fog. From here, we traversed the park until we made it the brakers (Ocean Beach), one of the most beauitful running paths.

I crossed the finish line at Ocean Beach feeling elated and exhausted, glowing from all the sweating, my heart beating out of my chest (at least that's what it felt like). More than anything, I felt pure joy.



There is nothing like finishing your first race and still be able to feel your legs. Thankfully, the distance was not too bad and I am not feeling the soreness just yet. I am just excited to have been able to participate in such a unforgettable race. Most importantly, I can check off one more thing of my "SF to do" list.

Next step- design a costume for next year's Bay to Breaker race and register for a
15K.

I am an official 2008 Breaker as of today!

No comments: