Sunday, May 4, 2008

Revisit Weekend Revisited

I can check off visiting the de Young Museum from my "to do" list of sites I need to see in San Francisco. After running by this museum so many times, I finally entered inside to view the fine art that is housed in the walls of this architectural spectacle. My entry into de Young was part of an unofficial museum tour. I was elected to be tour guide of a group 11 prospective UCSF medical students by virtue of being a current first year medical student, essentially by default.

This weekend is the Accepted Students Weekend at UCSF for prospective medical students. It's the weekend where we sell the school and everything it has to offer. Funny thing, I'm not really sure how much selling has to be done. In speaking with most prospective students, it seemed like they were set on joining us in the fall.

Anyhow, the weekend has been filled with a number of diverse festivities, everything from the structured talks from the administration, an activity tour and my favorite talk about the "agony of making a decision, when all the choices are so good" and then the afternoon activities (take your pick- hike to Land's End, Kickball in Golden Gate Park, Tour de Embarcadero, de Young Musuem).

I spent a got chunk of the early afternoon tabling for the Surgery Interest Group. We actually taught some students how to tie two-handed knots.

I was originally part of the Kickball Game (takes me back to the days of second grade) in Golden Gate Park. But within twenty minutes of the first game, it was clear kickball was not as appealing to everyone. So, I led a group through the park to the museum. Although the art is pretty impressive, I spent more time interacting with the prospective students, who are quite outstanding individuals. In fact, it was interesting to see that my blog has been picked up by some. Sometimes I forget that are actually people reading my entries.



Funny thing, it feels like I was just attending my Revisit Weekend one year ago. Where did the year really go? In one year, we'll be starting clerkships. It's strange. There are currently no second years, since they have transitioned to their third year rotations and disappeared completely. And soon the fourth years will graduate. Wow, talk about change! And the cycle will start soon for another 150 students.

I also had the privilege of hosting an Inner Sunset Dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Naan N' Curry. Dinner lasted over two hours, with some tasty Indian Food, good times, and the usual ice breakers and the introductions along with a scrumptuous tart to top off the dinner.
At then there was the post-dinner after-party gathering, which was quite the social mixer.

In the end, I certainly hope the weekend was informative and useful for prospective students, who will need to make a final decision within two weeks. I know that the after attending UCSF's Revisit Weekend I was sold and set on attending UCSF. And here I am, revisiting my Revisit Weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

still reading. and enjoying.