Friday, November 7, 2008

What a Week!



This has been one amazingly busy week! Perhaps, one of the most epic weeks of medical school and history.

Tuesday was unbelievable. With the swipe of a magic black marker, I cast my vote early in the morning, braving the cold and lines. I proudly wore my "I voted" sticker all day, knowing that we may make history.

During pediatric preceptorship, I completed my first pediatric neuro exam on a one and half year old girl, who was fast asleep when I arrived. She did not like tracking my penlight, but she did like the fluffy teddy bear. Later, we listened to a presentation from a pediatric cardiac thoracic surgeon, who spoke about how to repair congenital deformities involved with babies born with large vessel switching.

We did make history on Tuesday! I was brought to tears, as I watched the election results unfold. After 8 PM, when it was announced we had elected Barack Obama, I was elated. I am excited this welcome change.

Wednesday we made medical school history with our annual class play- MDTV, which was remarkable. I don't think I have ever laughed that hard. The mix of music videos, live skits, performances and video skits (that featured classmates, faculty members and first years), was one awesome production. I made an appearance in a couple of the video skits, namely a video titled "Girls gone Mild." (I really hope it does not end up on youtube).

I was also part of the final dance number, which was set to the song "Bye Bye Bye," with rewritten lyrics. After rehearsing (for what seemed like forever), we finally performed to a crowd of screaming medical students and faculty members (and the stage lights are super bright). It was quite an experience...I would love to take a dance class (if only I had the time).

After the end of the dance, we stayed on stage for the Final song number- "Seasons of Gloves." It was so heartwarming be in the company of my classmates as we sung (a slideshow of our first year flashed behind us as we swayed). The final hurrah that is our class play was extremely memorable. Now the curse of topping our class play gets passed to the Class of 2012, who must now hit the drawing board to devise an even better play.

Thursday was another long day. I taught my first cardiac MSP session. We moved from the anatomy labs to the chalk boards in the classroom. I taught cardiac anatomy, one of my favorite topics. I truly hear the the heart (seriously).



Friday is here. And the weekend, which means catch-up time and learning the language of cancer. I'll be spending time with family this weekend, so we'll see how much gets done.

Cheers to an unforgettable week!
***

Bye Bye Bye - Lyrics by Ning


We're done with this tonight
It's time to turn on the lights
We hope you thought it was tight
Hey baby, come on
We worked on this endlessly
So that we could help you see
That you're not in this med school business alone


We know that you can't take no more
It ain't no lie
You laughed so hard your abs are sore
Baby, bye bye bye


Right now everything's so new
But before you now it you're an MS2
It seems crazy, but it ain't no lie
Baby, bye bye bye


We know that this med school's tough
You probably feel like you already had enough
But you'll all make it and it ain't no lie
Baby bye bye bye


Just hit you with the truth
Life's better as an MS 2
I'll give you some good reasons baby, come on
No more anatomy
Just Life Cycle and I3
We study, take the boards and then we're gone
Goodbye to the Essential Core
It all flew by
We'll see what third year has in store
Baby, bye bye bye


All of us were just like you
But we all made it, now we're MS2s
You'll all make it and it ain't no lie
Baby, bye bye bye


We know that this med school's tough
Learning how to use a blood pressure cuff
You'll all make it and it ain't no lie
Baby bye bye bye

1 comment:

School of Medicine Communications said...

So sorry I missed the class play! I was just wiped out (as you said: what a week!) Waiting for the DVD to catch up with the antics.
Sarah