Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Inner Child

As I walked out of a clinic today, I saw a familiar face. He instantly recognized me and smiled. "Do you remember me?" He said.

It took me a second, before I remembered. He was the dad. And sitting next to him was the mother and the baby. They were the family who I had just seen last week on Labor & Delivery (I delivered their placenta).

I was amazed they remembered me. As a student, you always wonder who remembers you (or if anyone will). And it was truly wonderful to see the whole family after the labor and to have them recognize me.

***
My whole day has been about infants. I performed a head-to-toe newborn exam on 16-day old infant, evaluated a two-year old with fever of unknown etiology, as well as examined a rash in a young girl.

Pediatric clinic is always enjoyable because of the patients; I can give high fives, make funny faces and play games (and it's completely ok). The inner child is welcomed and it's such a pleasure to learn from kids.

2 comments:

Sarah P. said...

good posts! glad to see you're back in the groove ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to leave a message and thank you for your blog. As a prospective medical student, your blog offers great insight into the life of a medical student. Reading about your life has affirmed some of my fears about medical school (sleep deprivation and depressing moments when you realize the whole world is partying without you), but has made me excited about the not so distant future. I found your blog while browsing the UCSF Medical School website, my source of motivation when acceptance seems impossible. You are living my DREAM right now! I'm currently a senior in college at UCF in Orlando and dream/hope/pray every second that I may one day be in your shoes as a UCSF medical student. Keep on striving for the goal, and when the walls crowd in, remember that fire burning inside of your heart years ago in college when being a third year medical student was nothing but a dream. Good luck, and I hope to be your resident one day!


Best,

Princess Urbina
Tet_Urbina@yahoo.com