Saturday, March 8, 2008

Not too Early for Spring Fever

There is nothing quite like a crisp, sunny day in San Francisco. The feeling of all seventy degrees sun on your skin is sensational, the perfect chance to get all the Vitamin D we need and do not get during the winter months.
*
While I was running, I just wanted to keep going. There comes a point in a a long time, when you no longer perceive the pain in your joints. You just keep going to see where the trail ends. And today I followed the trail and suddenly there I was- face to face with the ocean. What a sight! Making it to the ocean is one of those small accomplishments (for me) that just made my week.
*
With Daylight Savings in full swing, we do lose one hour of sleep, but we gain the extra hour of daylight (in my opinion a fair trade). It is starting to really feel like spring. With the flip-flops and t-shirts comes spring fever- that desire to be outdoors at all times- at the expense of productivity. My last quarter as an undergraduate was the worst mix of senioritis and spring fever, which meant non-existent productivity but some the best days of my life laying on the quad, swimming and cycling.

Last week, the second year medical students bid farewell to lectures and class, as they turned in their last final. They will still have shelf exams during their rotations and did I mention they have to study for this one big test called the BOARDS (it is like the MCAT on steroids). Needless to say, the second years have disappeared and the first years are taking on the second year persona, assuming leadership and coordinating positions, in essence learning to run the medical school show before the incoming first years arrive (first in May to preview the school and then in August to start).

I can not repeat this enough- time flies by so fast. In seeing the second years becoming engrossed with board prep, I have realized that our carefree days are numbered. The best is really yet to come, but the days of being able to just be a student are flying right before our eyes. For this reason, I have decided to live up my first year and find balance. This weekend was truly unforgettable and made me think spring fever has sprung on me (even though it is March).

On Friday, we walked through the Mission, as part of neighborhood tour. The Mission is one of San Francisco's jem, with a vibrant culture, immense diversity and unique personality. The Mission actually has one of the highest densities of murals, which tell the story of community leaders and the struggles that neighborhood has faced, everything from the labor movement to discrimination to commercial development.
Hearing from communities leader express their concerns about genterification of the neighborhood with increased development, as well as concerns about violence and barriers to accessing health care, made be realize that as health care professionals we must really understand where our patients come from.

As easy as it is, to wear our white coats and simply discharge patients to their communities, we gain so much more by learning about where we send our patients and the challenges they face in getting healthcare services.

On Saturday, we played tag, interviewed a patient presenting with shortness of breath and reflected on our life's journeys as we helped our mentees brainstorm ideas for their personal statements during a Med Link Session. The mentees got a chance to play doctor, taking a history and directed physical of a patient presenting with a pulmonary embolus.
I spent time with my mentee; we talked about the things we have learned, our values and goals. In learning from fellow mentors, it was interesting to see how each of us came to medicine--we all came different routes to get to the same direction. The diversity in our experiences enriches our class. My mentee is well on her way to becoming a successful politician and I look forward to being present at her Med Link graduation in April.

I guess I could have been more productive with regards to getting caught up with all the GI diseases and physiology. But I figure that's what the week is for. The weekend should be lived up and enjoyed, spending time with friends and family, enjoying jazz over dinner, playing soccer in the park with friends and running.
I'll be playing catch-up during the week, but that seems to always be the case, and its all worth it.

No comments: