Monday, July 21, 2008

Foggy Days



I finally got to see the sun. Ok, let me qualify that statement- I got to see the sun and experience summer heat. A visit to my parents home this last weekend reminded me about a normal summer experience.

While visiting my parents, I realized a few things.

You know it's summer when you have to close the windows at noon to prevent heat from coming in and when you have to turn the fan to full power, just to tolerate breathing the warm air that circulates and fills the room.

You definitely knows it summer, when you step out for a run and start sweating the moment you start warming up and when you realize you are panting because you are thirsty (and only a mile has passed).

Oh, summer days. How I miss thee. I guess the novelty of summer is more what I miss. When I woke up on Monday morning back in SF, I was not surprised that the streets were black from condensation.

Overall, the summer has been treating me well. I've been searching for topics to write about, but realize that there is not too many interesting developments in my life. I spent the weekend with family, enjoying home-cooked meals and BBQ (we found an inventive use of the grill to heat up chocolate chip cookies) and reading novels.

I did just finish reading 1000 Splendid Suns, written by Khaled Hosseini, the author of Kite Runner. It was an interesting story about the plight of Afghani women set on the backdrop of the tumultuous history of the a country that continues to emerge in the forefront of media coverage.

***
If there is one word I can use to describe the epitome of my summer vacation, it would have to be ROUTINE. I spend my day in the lab, working out research problems that sometimes transcend my understanding while completing parts of my curricular project. That leaves late afternoon for a gym trip or running. I've been working on fitting in swimming (the weather just has not been that cooperative for a girl that is used to swimming under the blanket of the sun's glow). And evenings are left for Food Network, reruns of Sex and the City or surfing the web.

I'm working on writing a piece about DNA use in criminal investigations. I am also looking forward to photographing volunteers and patients at Clinica Martin Baro this Saturday.

With the sun shining and the weather looking promising right now (Wednesday), I think it maybe time for a run out to the ocean, if I can get out of lab at a decent hour and beat the impending arrival of SF summer fog.

Cheers to summer days!

No comments: