Sunday, September 7, 2008

Adopting a Sib



This weekend, the incoming first years spent their weekend at the annual Medical School Camping Trip; the classic combination of team-building games, introductions, socializing and alcohol. My camping trip feels like it was in another lifetime. So, odd- you go from thinking about your classmates to being around them in the wilderness. The camping trip was one of my earliest memories of my classmates and medical school, reminding me it is somewhat reminiscent of high school in some respects.

The first year medical students will make their debut on Tuesday; crawling out of the summer vacation hide-outs and congregating on campus for a week of Orientation activities. Honestly, the first week is about repeatedly congratulating the medical students (over and over again) and explaining what medical school is about plus a plethora of socializing activities. And the week culminates with the White Coat Ceremony, one of the most memorable experiences in my life.

As second years, we have the opportunity to adopt little siblings. I selected my little sibling and finally contacted her (and got a response). I am so excited to meet her and share some pearls of wisdom.

When I officially adopted my sib, I was already thinking about the first order of business- a gift. I ended up getting her a pocket handbook to help her with doctoring, a pink pen light and a candy bar. I hope she likes it (or finds the gifts useful). I slipped her gift in her mailbox today.

When I meet her, I hope I can fulfill my siblings duties.

2 comments:

School of Medicine Communications said...

You're so sweet, Eisha! Can we get a quote from your "sib?"

Anonymous said...

Wow…. your post reminds me of my school time camping trips.