Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Anatomy Lessons

I can not get the smell out of my hands. Even after changing out of my scrubs, I still could smell the familiar scent of anatomy lab on me. And I have taken a shower and still can detect the odor of latex-presservative on my hands.

It was not so long ago, when I got my whiff of this odor when I first ventured onto the thirteenth floor for my first foray into anatomy.

The first years had their first anatomy class today. A day that seems like it was in another lifetime for me. Today, I was teaching abdominal muscles and viscera during my first MSP session.

It's funny how quick it comes back. I had not seen the abdominal muscles since last year and before I knew it, I was teaching the three layers, focusing on a method to teach that avoids simply memorizing. In this case, it involved a demonstration of grabbing in your pocket to grab a piece of candy (direction of external oblique), place the candy in your mouth (direction of internal oblique) and rubbing your stomach (direction of transversus abdominis). There was also an abdominal workout.

Last year at this time, I struggled to unzip the body bag and reflect the skin back to visualize the muscles and abdominal viscera. Today, I was actually teaching the muscles, maneuvering the viscera and muscles almost like a robot. Now, I can really appreciate the anatomy without having to worry about any test.

I guess I have come some way. It was a pleasure to teach the new students. I hope they can handle my unusual mannerisms, bad jokes and hyperactive personality (I swear teaching brings out these qualities and I am not normally like this). It is just so much fun to share my joy of medicine with others.

There are somethings that do not change- the smell of anatomy remains (still).

Cheers to a year of MSP!

No comments: