Monday, September 15, 2008

Superhero Day

Yesterday, I was madly searching through my closet and drawers for anything remotely resembling a superhero costume. I am so amazed at how normal my wardrobe is. Aside from lots of exotic scarfs and tunics, there was nothing that really caught my attention. So, I settled for spandex (bike pants), an over sized DNA shirt that read "How do you express yourself," a red and yellow pokadot scarf, socks emblazoned with red hot chili peppers, a big black beaded necklace and a mask of confidence.

I was to be "Super Eisha," for our MSP debut for the first years. As a way to introduce the teaching program to the first years, the group of 16 MSPs leaders decided to dress up in super hero outfits (mostly colorful spandex).

And with our cue, "Don't fear, MSP will come to the rescue," we streamed into the first year's lecture hall, making our grand entrance by running and screaming to the front, where we were introduced. Now, that's what you call making a first impression.

Although I was going for the superhero look, I ended up looking more like I was off some 1980's exercise video, with my hair tied back to the side and in my spandex. One word- hideous! At least, I was in the company of 15 other MSP teachers, who exuded excitement to teach the first years, starting with anatomy and later teaching organs physiology.

Later today, one of our MSP advisors, commended us. He wrote, "It was really fun to watch you guys do your thing. I'd sign up again in a heartbeat! And don't feel bad that they sat there looking puzzled/scared while you ran around screaming, you all did the same thing when we did our announcement last year. It's been highly studied
and the evidence is overwhelming that this is a limbic cortex associated
instinctual reaction to the sudden appearance of rockstar superheroes
(p<.001)

Well done!" I guess that's a nice way to put it.

After my superhero arrival, I walked out in my hero outfit (to some awkward stares) en route to my apartment, where I had to change into another costume- a black powersuit. Now, I know what Superman must feel (it is so hard to run around in spandex and then change). I rushed and quickly changed grabbed my black stilettos and ran to the Curricular Showcase, where I was presenting a poster outlining my summer curricular project.

For two hours, I stood and explained my project to faculty members and students. After the 10th time, I thought- I should have recorded myself speaking and had everyone click a button to hear the description.

It's been a long day. If only I had real superhero powers (right now, I'd pick the power of learning all the bugs we are supposed to have learned by now). I may not that power, but I do have spandex and I sure to know how to rock a 1980's workout outfit like no other!

No comments: