Monday, November 19, 2007

The Power of Touch

Come on. Admit it. You are afraid of something. Even Superman was not invincible--there was krypnonite.

We all have our fears--everything from darkness, snakes, rejection, falling, etc. Being afraid is being human.

I would say I am afraid of being alone and exams, but that is only half-true. I think it's more the anticipation that gets me. Tests are just a necessary evil. Speaking of which, our first cardiovascular midterm ended and we move right along...

After the exam, I decided to spend time in the Women's Health World alongside Dr. S, my mentor. I spent my summer conducting research on HPV and cervical cancer in her lab. She is renowned for her work on HPV, including her research into the effectiveness of newly developed HPV Vaccine.

Being reunited took me back to the summer days of experiments--PCR, running gels, Immunohistochemisty, and staining slides. It's hard to believe how much time has passed and how different my life has become (so far from land of test tubes and pipettes).

I was with Dr. S during two straightforward gynecological procedures in the OR.

What I remember most (aside from using a laser to remove warts) is the power of touch, when a patient must face her fear.

Before surgery, a peripheral intravenous access must be obtained so that anesthesia and fluids can be administered during the surgery directly into the circulation. But to establish this access, a needle must be injected into a peripheral vein, such as the vein on your hand or arm.

For most patients, this is an uncomfortable procedure. But for some, needles can be so scary that they physiologically induce something called the vasovagal response that can lead to hypotension (lower blood pressure) and syncope (fainting epidose).

The second patient has struggled with facing needles. And today was no exception. To help her, I offered the only thing I could- my hand. As the needle was inserted, I held her hand and maintained direct eye contact with her, while initiating a conversation to keep her mind preoccupied. There was discomfort, but she stayed with us. After the needle was in, we covered the needle with a nice blue sleeve and she was ready.

As Dr. S said, "Sometimes mind overcomes matter."

After surgery, we visited her in recovery. I will never forget her words.

"Thanks for holding my hand and talking to me, it really helped."

Sometimes, the smallest things can have the most powerful effects.
***

No comments: