Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The first pager

I got my first pager today. The small black square noise box was sitting in my box this morning. There are two buttons on the pager- a red and green button. I am still fiddling with the two commands as I wait for the pager to go off-- a signal to report to Labor and Delivery.

My U-teach mom, Jane, will be delivering this week through a C-section. The procedure has been scheduled, but there is no way to plan such events, hence the pager comes in use. It's hard to believe this day is approaching. We're in week 35 and by delivery date it will will be week 35 and six days (so, essentially week 36).

I finally gave Jane her gifts today: denim overalls with a pink shirt for the Baby girl and a blue-stripped baseball inspired outfit for the Baby boy. For Jane I got her a delicate heart necklace.

When I dropped by her room after preceptorship, I was just telling her how I strongly think the mother deserves gifts because they go through so much: carrying the baby, experiencing a transformation as their stomach and body expands, undergoing pain, sacrificing sleep and so much more.

Being at her side has been an amazing learning experience and the next few days will be remarkable as we welcome Baby A and Baby B into the world (finally). Stay tuned...

No comments: