Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rx in the City


You may be able to think back to high school and the night of your prom, the festivities, the preparations, and the awkwardness that permeates adolescents in any setting. I actually did not go to my high school prom, so I am completely basing my perception of prom on accounts from my closest friends.

I think when I vowed to stay home on prom night, I never thought I would get a second chance to live the experience. And it was quite an experience.

For the gentlemen the dress attire means suits, tuxedos (or tuxedo shirts) and for ladies that means shiny dresses (that are usually low-cut and very uncomfortable), sparkling jewelry, and those oh-so-dreaded stiletto heals that make you feel like a movie star but make your feet ache after 10 minutes of walking (basically the time it takes to arrive on the party scene). The combination of glimmering ladies and suits makes for an unforgettable evening with its share of awkward moments (not too removed from the days of highschool since we are such a small class).


This year's Prom was "Rx in the City" (a nerdy spin on Sex in the City, one of my favorite television shows) and it was held in the Carnelian Room, which is perched on the 52nd Floor of a downtown high-rise. What was most amazing was the breathtaking panoramic view of the entire city at night. The skyline was visible amidst the rain droplets that trickled down the windows.

The prom itself was good times with classmates. The drinks were pouring (each ticket allows for one free drink and additional drinks cost $$$), the music was loud and hit or miss with a mix of techno, salsa, pop, and other songs. The space was limited, but there were corners near the windows where you could seek refuge. And the dance floor was quite a scene, as classmates pulled out the moves (which I thought they never had) and lip synced to songs. It was almost impossible to recognize some individuals out there.

All in all, I had really great time dressing up in my long red dress, having dinner with a smaller group at the pre-prom party at Delancey Street Restaurant in the Embarcadero and being addressed as "maam", having valet service, taking photographs, smiling all night as flashes went off, and spending time with my classmates and closest friends.
At least now, I have these memories of a beautiful evening and I actually say that I went to prom (and we can leave it at that).
***

No comments: