Sunday, June 1, 2008

Thinking about Thinking



Last time I checked, emotions are a little more complicated than the above poster would lead you to believe. I guess I'm feeling anxious right now; I am in the thick of studying. According to our instructors, stress is actually maladaptive to learning, since the fear response inhibits developing long-term memories, a process known as Long-term Potentiation in the hippocampus (the memory/learning part of the brain. So, to maximize learning, I am limiting stressing about the test. Hopefully, a strategy I can adhere to.

It's interesting. Studying for Monday's exam has made me think about thinking. Learning about how we think, learn and remember things is so bizarre. As I process the information, I can't help but think- "so that's what is going in when I sit here and passively absorb the words on the syllabus page."

If only there were a way to maximize usage of specialized learning circuits to divert my brain's energy to making sense of all this information, everything from psychiatric disorders to sedative and anti-convulsants drugs to the pathobiology of Ischemic Injury to all the other topics I have yet to explore.

The mind is complex, fascinating and mysterious. And even after spending the last 48 hours focusing my attention on my mind, I am struggling to make sense of all the complexities and subtleties of this amazing creation. Let's hope, I gain insight soon, or at least before 9 AM tomorrow morning.

Cheers to the mind!

No comments: