Friday, June 20, 2008

The View from the Inside



I am just 3 days shy of being finished with my first year of medical school. As I sit here, studying (obviously), I can not help but note that today must be one of the clearest days in San Francisco. From my Fifth Floor seat in the library, I can see the ocean as it hugs the horizon, the water shimmering like little sparkles and zig zags.

The sun is shining, covering the city and adjacent neighborhood in a blanket of warmth. I can feel the heat radiating from the large window that stands between me, the table and the entire world outside. How I want to be outside, running to the ocean or laying the sun or sipping a cup of tea at some corner cafe.

Today was a medical school milestone. We had our last day of class today. Sitting from the back row, I just realized that in less than a year- we will all be scattered throughout the wards, taking care of patients. The days of academic instruction and the days of savoring my classmate's company are numbered...



To celebrate the end of BMB, the course directors awarded the case of day winners, who submitted the most correct responses to cases that were presented at 8:05 AM every morning. The winners received yellow authentic BMB shirts. And in the spirit of the Olympics, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners got to stand on podiums. And to culminate, we all sang the star-spangled banner (I am not sure where this fits in celebrating).

It's hard to believe we have come this far (and it feels like we have just scratched the surface). Studying for this BMB final is just more thing to do on a long list that will follow us through the next few years. I am exhausted, overwhelmed and wondering how I will fit all this information in my already-full brain? We'll see if I can get creative with studying somehow as I brace for a weekend study marathon.

Back to staring out the window...

Less than 3 days to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, it does not approach me. There are other variants?