Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bleeding Gums

Pregnancy does "funny things" to a woman's body. Jane was complaining of bleeding gums, which seems to be common with pregnancy. According to her physician, the condition will go away once the pregnancy is over. That seems like a simple solution.

Other women will complain about chills, edema (swelling), backaches, cravings, among other things. Pregnancy is an odd thing; the body's hormones, blood circulation, and metabolism are in overdrive.

Today was another one of Jane's prenatal appointments. It seems like March 2nd is far away. But it is really about 2 and half months, since twins usually deliver early or are delivered during a scheduled C-section.

While we waited for the nurse, a photographer from a baby resource website asked us if we were Middle-eastern (we are not). Jane and I have been mistaken for being sisters. He was looking for a face for the new Middle-eastern prenatal informational website.

I guess it would be kind of interesting for Jane (or for anyone expecting) to be a pregnant model.

*Note to self: bring camera to next visit

At our next visit, I have to remember bring my camera. Jane wants pictures to remember what she looked like during pregnancy. "This is the first and last time I will be pregnant," she said jokingly.

Everything is looking great. Baby A and Baby B are both growing. Jane placed my hand on her stomach, letting me feel the baby's heads. I really can't tell you what I was feeling. It was just harder than other areas of her stomach. The babies did not kick so much today, but later they will (and I can't wait to feel the kicks).

While we waited (today we were in the clinic for 2 and a half hours), I got my blood pressure measured: 115/54. I'm not the only one interested in blood pressure. All the husbands also get their blood pressures measured.

We did get to hear the baby's hearts beating. A normal heart rate for an adult is less than 100. For a developing baby, the normal heart rate is higher, between 120-160. Each Baby's heart was beating loud and fast; I could make out the lub-dub over the swooshing sound of the doppler.

It's hard to believe there are two babies growing inside the bulge of Jane's stomach. I wonder how much bigger the stomach will have to grow to support Baby A and Baby B. It's simply amazing how the body adapts to make a nice home for the growing babies, and watching Jane transform each time I see her.

No comments: