Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!


You know it's Christmas time, when the familiar red and white suit, black boots, and white beard becomes ubiquitous, which usually happens right after Thanksgiving.

I am a little concerned about Santa's diet- cookies and milk-- along with his risk factors for heart disease. I certainly hope that Santa makes lifestyle modifications during the off-season.

I know Santa makes a list and checks it twice to find out who is naughty or nice. I hope to make the "nice" list. By now, I am really hoping Santa has made it to my name (which I doubt since I'm at the very bottom, with a last name that starts with "Z").

Santa, if you are still checking your list, here is my wish:

*Can you please help us fix the health care crisis and give health care to over 45 million uninsured? So many individuals are denied basic sersvices for so long that by the time they seek health care they must deal with life-crushing injuries or chronic conditions that could have been prevented with earlier detection or treatment.

In a society that places such high value of freedom and life, why is health care a privilege rather than a right? I am not the first to ask this question, and yet the question has gone unanswered for too long.

If not, that's alright; I understand that even Santa has limitations. Health care seems to be the buzz word in the upcoming election. So, maybe between the democrats (and maybe the republicans), we might have a possible solution (probably not).

We'll just have to see what Santa brings.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! I hope Santa delivers everything on your wish lists.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have some awesome vacation time Eisha! Just wanted to share a lil story - I ended up getting sick and going into the intensive care in Davis but not being able to get in because they don't take my insurance. So I contacted some physicians that do take my insurance in Davis, but they wouldn't see me unless I switched my policy so they were listed as my primary care doctor - something which would take about a week for all the paperwork and such.
So I took my flight back to socal where I found myself in the ER with pneumonia.

So, with a little personal vendetta, let's not only provide insurance - lets fix the whole dang system. The best way to eat an elephant: one bite at a time.

Eisha Z said...

Neal,

So sorry to hear about that. I can not believe that they would put you through all that. I am so sorry to hear about that. I hope you are feeling better. And yes, I hope we can find a solution...somehow!

epistemocrat said...

Here is a physician who is part of a grassroots movement in primary care to get rid of insurance and contract directly with patients:

http://www.icyou.com/events/3rd-annual-consumer-centric-healthcare-congress/dr-chris-ewin-fee-care?&page=2

It's a start and a model with potential ... to scale it up would obviously require subsidies for those who cannot afford it, but it removes insurance from 85% of healthcare and provides patients with a doctor who is their medical advocate. It cuts out the administrative burden required with billing 3rd party payers, and it refocuses primary care on the doctor-patient relationship (the centerpiece for rebuilding an effective health system from the ground up).

You can learn more at:

http://www.simpd.org/

epistemocrat said...

Oh, and the Surgeon General agrees with your concerns about Santa Claus:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1047979

epistemocrat said...

For UCSF folks and others:

http://medschool.ucsf.edu/news/features/public_service/20070423_Cuba.aspx