Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Rain, Kitten, and Spicy Indian Food

The rain was falling today. The wet weather dampened more than the roads; it also dampened my desire for an outdoor run. So, I made my way to the gym for a quick cardio and ab workout.

*
There is something odd about going to a new gym. I was actually returning to my undergraduate gym, so it was not entirely new. It was just different. There were new treadmills with TV sets in the display that would be great replacements for the current treadmills in the UCSF gym. I think it's all about adjusting to an new gym habitat.
*
The rain did not just confine me to the indoors; I had company- my parent's new kitten, Paloo, that is as gray as the clouds on a rainy day. I spent my afternoon in the kitchen alongside my mother who was cooking up a storm (no pun intended). I would also periodically entertain the kitten with an orange ball. The kitten is like a ball of energy and I wonder when (and if) he sleeps.

I'd like to think cooking is simple. But I always disprove my theory when I'm with my mother, who demonstrates that there is an artistic quality to conjuring tasty and delicious food. There is a certain amount of knowledge, experience, and skill that goes into any pot of spicy chicken curry, or keema kaboobs, or chappatis. My mother makes the best cook and teacher.

Today we prepared kuftas (meatballs), chicken and beef kaboobs, tandoori chicken, and zerda (a sweet yellow rice). There is no recipe book or protocol. My mother just knows the correct proportions of red pepper, garlic, and spices. It is pure skill.
The aroma of masala, caramelizing onions, and boiling rice filled our home as we cooked. It's these smells and my mother's company that I miss when I am hurriedly preparing dinner during evenings in San Francisco.

So, while I'm here- I'm taking it all in--the sound of rain tapping on the windows, the playful kitten and all his antics, the aroma of nostalgia, the unique cooking lessons, and the taste of spicy Indian Food. Want some? Maybe I'll cook for you if I'm in the mood.

No comments: