Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tabula

The weekend continues to unroll with no fun in sight. The sun was shining. I could feel the heat on my skin while I studied from the fifth floor of the library. The whole city was shining and bright.

Heart Failure is no fun. And obsessing about physiological abnormalities of the heart and trying to figure out why a bad heart just keeps getting worse in congestive heart failure does not make for an exciting weekend.

Seems like every time I study heart disease, I am more inclined to jump out of my chair and run to get some exercise. Studying (and sitting sedentary along with stressing) just seems so bad for my heart.

There is one thing I've accomplished this block: I have developed a semi-regular gym and exercise schedule. Exercise. It's a good thing.

Well, distracted-- I am. I'm thinking less about the heart as I write this and more about Tabula.

What is Tabula, you might ask?

Tabula reflects the creative side of UCSF students, staff, and faculty. It is a semi-annual literary supplement published in the Synapse, the UCSF student newspaper. It provides a forum for individual expression in images and words, including poems and short stories. It is simply beautiful.

And the website cover (of candles) is actually a photograph from my personal collection: "Timeless," an image of hope, inspiration, and guidance.

Please take the time to be inspired and check out Tabula: http://www.ucsf.edu/synapse/tabula/ (when you get to this site, just click on the candle picture and entry will be granted).

Back to studying...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

epistemocrat said...

Being involved with congestive heart failure research has led me to the same concern for my heart's health many times as I sat at a computer or in front of my textbooks studying and completing assignments. Like you, I have tried to infuse exercise regularly, and more recently, have tried to practice evolutionary fitness.