Friday, February 8, 2008

Reflections on Journal Club

I decided the black suit was the outfit for today. Why do people take you more seriously when you are wearing your finest black suit? I remember ironing the same suit many times not so long ago during the medical interview season. And if there was a black suit, there had to be those nice thin black heels that make walking (more like wobbling) a challenge.

The presentation was in a larger size lecture hall that had auditorium seating. Today's lunch was Falafel (by request) and the food was virtually gone by the time I arrived to set-up my laptop (because of medical students and their food radars).

After some technical difficulties due to a projector that refused to turn on, I finally got my presentation on the screen and started my talk. I opened by asking anyone personally affected by breast cancer to raise their hand. A good majority of the hands shot up in the air.

The American Cancer Society reports that over 40,000 died of breast cancer in 2007; it is a disease that touches so many lives.

Although preparing and translating the clinical jargon into a language that made sense for my peers was a challenge, I enjoyed sharing the findings and addressing questions at the end. And I find a new purpose for the black suit that has been hanging in my closet since medical school started.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent weeks with my father who was a patient in a large University hospital and was mistaken for a physician many times by other physicians. Why? Because I was informed, intelligent on the subject matter, and I wore a black dress shirt. All I needed was the stethascope.

Anonymous said...

I spent weeks with my father who was a patient in a large University hospital and was mistaken for a physician many times by other physicians. Why? Because I was informed, intelligent on the subject matter, and I wore a black dress shirt. All I needed was the stethascope.

Anonymous said...

Well done presentation on Friday, Miss Eisha! We are all very proud of your efforts. Plus, it was a lovely suit. =) -Curtis