Friday, February 1, 2008

Spending time with the Babies

A forrest can be seen through the window in Jane's postpartum room. Since the delivery of Baby A and Baby B, her room has become decorated with pink and red roses along with two big balloons in the shape of baby foots. One pink balloon says"It's a girl," and one one blue balloon saying "it's a boy."

I met Jane in the Neonative Intensive Care Unit. She had just finished feeding her two babies and was ready to return to her room. Baby A and Baby B are being closely monitored and are spending their first days in isolates, clear plastic cribs. They spend most of their time sleeping and are simply adorable. I could spend the whole day watching the babies as they open and close their eyes, modify their facial expressions, move their little hands, and stare at you with bewilderment.

At the request of the nurse, I wheeled Jane from the nursery passing through a pink hallway to her room, where we spent lunch together. She shared stories about her family and showed me pictures from her baby shower (I was invited but unable to attend). As she slowly ate her chow mein, strategically setting aside the broccoli and green beans, the door of her room would open and different people would walk in.

The nurses would walk in periodically check her blood pressure or give her medicine. Later, a clerk from the birth certificate would come in to finalize the forms; the names have now been selected. A social worker came to ask Jane if she had any questions. The social worker did share information about post-partum depression, a condition that affects new moms and leaves women feeling sad, unhappy, and not like their normal selves.

As I sat at Jane's side, I felt privileged to be a part of her life. It was not so long ago that we had our first meeting. I remember sitting in the waiting room waiting to meet my U-teach mom. "It was like it was your appointment. You were always early and I was always late," Jane said.

"You are a part of my family," she said. We have come along way. And I am happy to know that Jane views me more than just a medical student. She thinks of a me as a friend and a part of her family.

I look forward to stopping by tommorrow to spend time with my new extended family.
*All names have been changed to protect privacy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, did I miss something - they're in the NICU?

Eisha Z said...

being monitored (born pre-term, low birth weight), but healthy.

Anonymous said...

aww thats so cute. Congrats!