Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fasting...it goes by slow

I have really come to hate the sound of my alarm. I mean who really likes their alarm? My alarm sounds like a chime/bell and its produced by my cell phone. Cell phones definitely know exact time, because I am pulled out of a semi-peaceful sleep everyday, same time. Lately (and for the last 27 days or so), my alarm has been waking me at 5 AM.

Waking up at 5 AM takes a great deal of force, effort, and strength. What actually takes more strength is fasting for the whole day (until 7 PMish).

During Ramadan, Muslims all over the world give up food, water, and sex (during fasting hours) for a month of sacrifice and spirituality. The word Ramadan is Arabic for "intense heat, scorched ground, and shortness of ration." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan) And it is an appropriate name, since the multi-faceted definition reflects how one feels when fasting (well, that's how I feel and I'm not ashamed to admit it).

***
The most common response I get when I tell individuals I am fasting is- "How can you go an entire month without eating?"

Well, we eat in the morning during Sahur and again in the evening. It's basically fasting (no food or water) from sun up to sun down for an entire month until the end, which is celebrated during Eid-ul-Fitr. Makes sense.

In making one of the biggest sacrifices, you learn to discipline yourself. At least, that is the intended outcome. And I have been learning to appreciate all the blessings in my life: health, food, shelter, family, friends, etc. Celebrating the end of a fast during the Iftar dinner with friends and family is especially rewarding, because it feels like you have actually earned your food and your plate. And you never really realize how amazing food until you've gone without out (oh yes!).

At the same time, fasting can be challenging.

Giving up food is not really a problem. Waking up when it's still dark to the sound of irritating bells is fine. Being absentminded and distracted and tired after 2 PM is tolerable. Always being around food- totally cool. It's giving up water, which makes it difficult for someone (like me), who is accustomed to hitting the gym most days.

No running, no spinning, no weights, no crunches, no swimming, no fun. No going fast; time goes by slow.

But I've adjusted and when I get back to my routine (or better yet, ease my way back into the swing of things next week), I will appreciate my workout so much more, when I can have my water back and when I can experience the joy of a hard core workout.

Until then- Happy Ramadan (with 2 hours to go...for today)

Image- "Noor (Light)" from my collection

No comments: