Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Mirror Girl


Mirrors are a beautiful thing. We look at mirrors in the morning to see our ourselves when we wake up and again in the evening before we go to sleep. Mirrors provide reflections. And when carefully positioned, mirrors provide a glimpse into the birthing process.
That was my job today- I was the mirror girl during my first medical shadowing experience spent in labor and delivery. As I held the mirror for mom and dad to produce the optimal view, I got to observe the whole birthing process and also provide positive feedback to mothers as they pushed, pushed, and pushed some more during contractions. It was simply amazing to watch mom (despite her initial trepidation) and dad look at the mirror, as if they were viewing a portal into a magical world.

In medical school, we will eventually complete a OB/GYN rotation sometime between our third and fourth years. But by then there will be responsibility, evaluations, and pressure involved. As a first year shadowing student, I decided to experience medicine a little earlier, when I can really observe. My knowledge is limited and there are no high expectations (yet), or case presentations to be made. Today was not about reciting physiological processes or pharmacological terms as they pertain to specific cases; it was more of a holistic learning experience and an opportunity to be by each patient in a supportive role.

And today I served as the mirror girl and helped mom during her contractions.

My day started at 8 AM. I was running to make it to the 15th floor in my over sized and unflattering blue scrubs. As I made my way to Labor and Delivery, I began to understand why the chief resident had instructed me to wear "comfy shoes." My Adidas sneakers definitely served the purpose, although it seems like clogs are the big thing in labor and delivery.

*Note to self- Maybe I should consider buying clogs for Clinic days, but I really can't see myself in them. I am really a high heel girl.

I arrived on time and joined an OB/GYN team for sign-out rounds in the small resident work-room right across from the Nurse's Station. The resident work room is the hub of activity. It' s equipped with computers and a dry erase board that chronicles each patient's condition and history in acronyms that I can't understand. When I arrived, a new team was getting all the updates through a series of case presentations provided by residents from the last team.

It took an hour and half to get the debriefing of the patients in labor, the new admits, the post-labor recovery, etc. Having just studied female pelvic anatomy, I could pick up words such as uterus, os, fundus, and umbilicus. Most other words or acronyms where a new language to me that flew over my head, just like the Blue Angels, who were out today for Fleet Week Celebrations.

Once notes were exchanged, I was paired with an intern and off. We started with assessing triage (newly admitted patients) and made our way to our first mom in labor.

The laboring rooms on the fifteenth floor have the best panoramic view of the city. When I first walked into our first mom's room, it was surprising how different the room looked from a typical hospital birthing room. It actually felt more comfortable; it was spacious with large windows and some home furnishings, such as a sofa and some wooden side tables and dressers. An incubator for the baby sat in the corner and mom's bed was right in the middle of the room.

I observed my first live birth within an hour of my shift and by the end of my shift, I saw a total of three deliveries (two girls and one boy), including one breach baby delivery in the Operating Room.
Delivering a baby involves a lot of pushing, contractions, coaching, screaming, blood, and patience. When the baby finally arrives through the birthing canal, it's amazing how much stretching can take place. After today, I know I passed my first test-I can stand the presence of blood and oozy stuff since I did not faint (a very good sign).

In each delivery, I got to meet a new set of parents, who were excited, anxious, and a bit scared. Some parents had the exact name selected for their baby, while others had a list of names and alternate names in mind.

From my experience today, I can really see how the arrival of a baby transforms individuals. Two of the couples I met were having their first child. When the baby arrived and was given to mom and dad, I could start to see a change. I followed one baby to the nursery, where it was given oxygen to assist with the transition (the point where the baby starts to completely breathe on its own). I was there, assisting the nurse administer oxygen, and watching the baby as it gained color and as her grunts diminished (a good sign). She began to respond to Dad as he called to her and spoke to her.

It's hard to explain; it's something that just happens between a newborn and its parents. It's natural. And it is beautiful to watch parents display affection for their child and for each other, as they welcome their new child into this world--one of the reasons that makes OB/GYN such a promising career.

I left the hospital at 5 PM, quite early since most residents will be in the hospital overnight attending to their patients. Having been on my feet all day, I was tired and ready for a power nap. I don't know how residents pull those long shifts.
Serving as the mirror girl was truly rewarding; I not only got to observe the birthing process; I got to see a reflection of a potential career.

The question now becomes- can I see myself as an Obstetrician?

Well, I might just need to look at the mirror a little more closely, now that I have some experience.

***


No comments: