Thursday, October 18, 2007

Navigating the Labyrinth and the Medical School Tour


It feels like just yesterday I was pressing my pink collar shirt and black suit, polishing my three-inch black stilettos, telling my life story to strangers and criss-crossing the nation during my medical school interviews.

Let's rewind for a second. October 24, 2006, 8 AM- I find myself test-driving my new black suit and heels during a one-hour walking tour in rain and up hills at the University of Pittsburgh. Oh, it was my first interview. After surviving the tour marathon in heels, I knew I could make it through any walking tour (and those shoes were definitely keepers). And later there was the UCSF interview...more on this later.

When I think of medical school interviews, I think about black suits, long walking tours in three inch heels, sleepless nights, red-eye flights, traveling for endless hours, returning to school to take midterms, unappetizing hospital cafeteria sandwiches, nerves, repeating my life story for every interviewer, and waiting for weeks to month to hear a decision from the admission gods.
***
Today I was reminded of the entire interview process as I guided my first UCSF medical school tour. During the forty-five minute tour, I led a group of interviewees (all male and all in black suits) through the UCSF Parnassus Campus, taking them everywhere I could think of from the student lounge to the anatomy lab to Milberry Union to the Gym (including the downstairs weight room) to the library. Along the way, I answered questions and learned a little about each of the interviewees.

It's interesting how after seven weeks of medical school, I am looked to as a UCSF medical student representative and resident expert. I am supposed to have the answers to the questions, know the way, and speak about my experiences. Such high expectations for someone that still gets lost trying to navigate the labyrinth of connected buildings that is UCSF. And the funny thing is, I had no trouble talking during the entire tour and we did not get lost (not even once).

It's amazing how fast we transform. Just a year ago, I was looking at the tour guides similar to how the interviewees were looking at me--asking questions, seeking my opinion, and looking to me for answers.

I guess it's time to go beyond thinking that I am "just a first year medical student that just got accepted." That excuse won't fly anymore. It's time to put the entire application process and interview process behind me, and move forward.

I am officially a "first year medical student," who can lead a medical school tour. And I can definitely sell the school (it's really not hard, given the amazing views from the Anatomy Lab and library; among other amazing things abour UCSF).

I look forward to leading my next medical school tour (probably not for some time given the popularity of serving as a tour guide among my classmates). In the meantime, I will have to work on figuring how to navigate the Parnassus labyrinth....

No comments: