Thursday, October 25, 2007

Our First Meeting



Why do they keep the OB/GYN reception room so cold and dimly lit? I was thinking about this yesterday while I waited to meet Jane*. The big blue eyes of a baby from Baby Magazine looked up at me, while expecting mothers of all sizes paced back and forth or made their way to the restroom.

Learning is a two-way street. We all know the doctor teaches the patient. But how about the patient? I bet they have a lot to say and could give us a lesson, or two?

U-TEACH is a program that pairs a pregnant mom with a medical student, who follows her through the pregnancy from clinic visits to the actual birth. By participating in the longitudinal care of an expecting mother, I hope I can learn from my mother and gain a better sense of what pregnancy is like for an expecting mother and her family.

After fifteen minutes of reading a handout about "Expecting Twins," I met Jane, my pregnant mother.

When she had her first ultrasound to determine the sex of her baby, she crossed her fingers and hoped for a girl. She was in for a surprise.

"God made my wish come true," she said. She is expecting twins, one boy and one girl. She is five months along in her pregnancy and will be giving birth in March.

Note to self- If I have kids, I want twins (a boy and a girl)...

When I first met her, I would have never guessed she was that far along; the only sign is the slight outward bulge in her stomach. She is young (a few years older than me) with black hair and kind face.

From listening to her, I got one message: pregnancy is all about change. While we waited, she talked about how pregnancy has affected her body, her life, her relationship with her husband and her emotions. She had a lot to say and I was happy to by her side, so that I could listen and offer any support.

Her husband, John*, later joined us. During her exam, I sat at her side; she held my hand, squeezing tightly during an uncomfortable pelvic exam.

I am extremely fortunate to have this opportunity. I am grateful to Jane and John for allowing me to enter their lives. And at the same time, I feel a little strange; my role in this pregnancy is not well-defined. It will be up to me to define this role...

In 2 hours, I learned so much about Jane, who was a complete stranger just previously. After the visit, I already started thinking about the presents I planned to get for her and her babies. Maybe something from Victoria's Secret or Bath and Body for Jane, and some cute matching (boy and girl) outfits for the babies. Pink and blue are her favorite colors.

It's exciting to be a part of this pregnancy. I hope over the next few months our relationship can transform, so that I can become more than just the medical student participating in U-TEACH.

We'll see...I'll be with Jane at her next Ultrasound appointment.

*All names have been changed to protect privacy*
Image: Exam Room (Photographed on 10/24/07)

No comments: