Saturday, October 6, 2007

It's all over

It's done. And I feel just fine. Despite the all-day marathon, starting yesterday at 9 AM and ending at 6 PM, I'm relieved my first medical school midterm is over.

I survived what will be the first of a series of tests that will challenge me and my ability to learn this new medical language. In retrospect, I could imagine the test being 10 times worse, but it was fair, given the amount of information and number of topics we covered.

The first part of the midterm was a three-hour extravaganza. It was nice to be interrupted by the second years, who streamed in bringing sources of ATP (cookies and brownies).
*Note to self- bring cookies for first years during their prologue midterm next year.

Then, there was waiting. I did learn about the conflict in Darfur from a physician's perspective during a noon-hour talk. I am left feeling saddened about the humanitarian crisis in Darfur. I will need to learn more.

My anatomy practical, including histology, wasn't until 4:45 PM. I would have been ecstatic if I had a 1 PM exam time, but no- I had the last possible practical slot.

In an ideal world, I should have been effectively making use of the time by studying and reviewing all those long Latin-derived anatomical terms.

Realistically, I just absent-mindedly stared at my syllabus and the anatomy dissection videos and color histology slides. It did not help being on the 5th floor of library overlooking the entire city. Not to mention, this weekend is Fleet Week. And yesterday, we were fortunate to get a glimpse of the Blue Angels as they flew by. Needless to say, I was distracted and anxious to just get this all over with.

If there is one thing I remember from the anatomy midterm- it is the 13th floor has one of the best views of SF. The "rest stops" that are embedded in the exam gave me an opportunity to stare out and map out the city and all the sites I have yet to explore. I also noticed I always get goosebumps when I walk into anatomy lab; it's just way too cold for blue (over sized) scrubs.

It's great to be done. Celebrating and spending time with classmates (post-exam) in the Haight was fantastic. Although I ended my celebrations early compared to others, who were just gearing up to spend an evening at Milk, a bar/club in the Haight for a night of bliss, I was happy to catch up with sleep. Sleep--it's a good thing.

I am looking forward to refreshing weekend and catching up with friends outside of my little medical school world. But before I do that, I'll be spending my day in the labor and delivery world. We'll see how that goes...maybe if I'm lucky I'll see a birth (or two).

2 comments:

Neal said...

the description of your test makes me want to cry.

what's the format on most of your tests like? multiple choice ...choice d is "none of the above, kill the patient?" seriously though, similar to davis?

Eisha Z said...

Multi-choice.

Not too bad- and barely any of the "None of the above" business."

It's fair.