Monday, October 22, 2007

Yellow, Red and Blue (No Gray)- The Colors of the OR

Fat is yellow. When Frank Netter, famous anatomist and illustrator of Netter's Anatomy, drew fascia (fat), he accurately colored it yellow--the color I saw today in the OR during an abdominoplasty (waist reduction surgery) and breast reduction Mammoplasty surgery.

"Vertical belly buttons are youthful and horizontal belly buttons are aged," according the plastic surgeon I was shadowing Monday afternoon. I never knew belly buttons had some sort of identity. Swedish belly buttons were the trademark of a successful Salt Lake Plastic surgeon, according to the surgical tech I stood next too during the first 3 hour procedure.

Although we have our FINAL this Friday, I was in the OR from 12:30 PM to 7:30 PM (it was the earliest date I could be penciled into, given such a busy plastic surgery schedule).

I decided to venture into the OR after mingling with some surgeons earlier this year during the Surgery Interest Group's Annual Meet and Greet. I had no idea what surgery was about, aside from all the comments and rumors graciously provided by other medical students.

I was really interested in learning the truth. What is the OR like? What are surgeons like? Is it anything like Grey's Anatomy (we all know this answer- NO)? Is it true that surgeons eat medical students for lunch? And what better way to find out, than to set my own eyes on the scene and place myself directly into the pit.

***
The OR is bound by four white walls. Overhead, nine gold eyes look down; these are the adjustable lights that place a spotlight on the patient, actually the patient's body since the face is draped away from view. There is one main surgeon, a surgical resident, a medical student, a few scrub nurses, a surgical tech, and an anesthesiologist.

The only two colors I have come to know are red and blue: red for blood and tissues and blue for scrubs and the sterile field.

As a shadowing medical student (I did not scrub in, since I was simply observing), there is one simple rule to abide by: Stay away from anything blue to avoid contamination. So, I obey. I stand and watch.

The whole surgical team was extremely supportive and patient; they explained each step of the procedure and technique. The plastic surgeon I shadowed encouraged me to take the OR Access course taught in the spring to learn sterile technique and suturing basics. And after that, she mentioned in the future that I would get to sew (suture).

***
It's remarkable how plastic surgeons are masters of reconstruction. During both surgeries, there was lots of removing yellow fat, fine suturing, tissue repairing, and reconstructing.

They are artists of the body, transforming the body's landscape into something completely new at the patient's request. The process is unbelievable- the before and after-the in between. Wow!

At least I know the truth about the OR (it's nothing like Grey's Anatomy). I think I'll have to return...

2 comments:

HNawaz said...

I had seriously considered platics once, the human boday is so amazing. I love how articulate the surgeons are with thier sutures...

Eisha Z said...

Yes, I agree. It's really artistic and transforming.