Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

Halloween. Oh yes, I remember those days. Growing up, I remember Halloween as my favorite Holiday because of the excessive amount of tooth-decaying glucose and fat packets wrapped in those shiny wrappers.

Candy, how I miss thee.

Every year I was an Indian Princess. There was no shortage of those outfits at home.

Today I really wish I would have dressed up. I would fit in nicely with my classmates who dressed up as pirates (one Johny Depp look alike), Harry Potter, John Travolta, the Incredible, Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles complete with April, Dumbledore, Penguins, Clifford the Red Dog, cowgirl (and these are just a few of the things I remember).

"The Flamingo is staring at me. The eyeball is looking at me,” said our Professor after seeing the Pink Flamingo hat.

My favorite costume was the Dr. Teresi--our anatomy professor--the costume was complete with the mustache, v-neck sweater, and goggles.

If I were to dress up, I would be a character from Harry Potter; I would do the whole bit: the black robes, the wand, the Griffyndor crest, the scarlet and yellow tie, and the broomstick. I would not be Harry, Ron, nor Hermoine.

If people asked me who I was I would respond with- "Hi. I am Parvati, the lesser know Indian character. I'm representing. See the resemblance?"

Trick-or-Treating?

Some of my classmates will be doing a variation of the theme; something like "Trick or Drinking." We have a progressive Trick-or-Treating scheduled at different individual's house, with each host featuring a special drink: Mystery Punch, Russian Roulette, Bloody Sangria, Voodoo Vodka, Spooky Concoctions, anyone?

Think I'll sit this one out....maybe find some candy to rekindle those good old childhood days of guiltless sugar consumption.

Speaking of candy, here is some candy for thought (pulled straight out of a NYT headline):
"The candy lobby also played a significant role in pushing Halloween into daylight saving time, believing that extra hour of trick-or-treating in daylight would spur more candy sales but arguing that it would decrease deaths." The Candy Lobby is sweet and powerful, but they have got the kids best interest in mind.
It should be good times for all.

No comments: